- Access free online education modules designed to assist doctors, nurses and allied health professionals delivering end-of-life care in acute hospitals.
- VitalTalk also have a range of tools, resources and online courses.
Membership, research and guidelines
- Visit the International Association for Communication in Healthcare (EACH) to find out about conferences, workshops, membership and research updates.
- Find out about plans for an extensive systematic review of Interventions for improving medical students’ interpersonal communication in medical consultations.
- Access the American Society of Clinical Oncologists (ASCO) Guidelines, Tools and Resources.
- Clinical Communications as part of the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare.
- Skills for Communicating with Patients, 3rd edition: The first entirely evidence-based textbook on medical interviewing.
- The Consensus statement on an updated core communication curriculum for UK undergraduate medical education
- SPIKES protocol for breaking bad news.
- Associate Professor Orford’s personal experience on the importance of being heard made the news.
- Find out the prevalence of eliciting the patient agenda – and interruptions – in clinical settings.
- Talking about dying: How to begin honest conversations about what lies ahead, a report from the Royal College of Physicians.
Teaching in the clinical workplace
- Using “teach-back” to promote a safe transition from hospital to home: an evidence-based approach to improving the discharge process.
- Dis-integration of communication in healthcare education: Workplace learning challenges and opportunities.
Shared decision making
- A three-talk model for shared decision making: multistage consultation process.
- Evidence-based decision making to achieve the best, safest care for children.
- Shared decision making: Concepts, evidence, and practice.
Patient experience leading the way
Life limiting illnesses, ICU, and Advanced Care Planning
- Effect of communication skills training on outcomes in critically ill patients with life-limiting illness referred for intensive care management: a before-and-after study.
- A prospective observational study of prevalence and outcomes of patients with Gold Standard Framework criteria in a tertiary regional Australian Hospital.
- Patient values informing medical treatment: a pilot community and advance care planning survey.
- Prevalence, goals of care and long-term outcomes of patients with life-limiting illness referred to a tertiary ICU.